• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA divorce decree and bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgrissom

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My divorce decree states that my ex was to hand money that was held back from a sale of property. He kept putting me off with excuses as to why he hasnt paid it for over a year. I know for a fact he did receive the money. I finally served him with a contempt of court. 3 days after that, he filed bankruptcy. Can I still recover the money and attorneys fees wich total amount to 3500? Thank you.

LdiJ

dgrissom said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My divorce decree states that my ex was to hand money that was held back from a sale of property. He kept putting me off with excuses as to why he hasnt paid it for over a year. I know for a fact he did receive the money. I finally served him with a contempt of court. 3 days after that, he filed bankruptcy. Can I still recover the money and attorneys fees wich total amount to 3500? Thank you.
If he listed you as a creditor in the bankruptcy, then maybe not. If he didn't, then maybe yes.

dgrissom

Do you know where I can find a more solid answer to the question? I s there a website on bankruptcy law in MA? Thank you.

LdiJ

dgrissom said:
Do you know where I can find a more solid answer to the question? I s there a website on bankruptcy law in MA? Thank you.
If he listed you as a creditor then your best bet is to show up at the creditor's hearing. That will give you the opportunity to challenge the bankruptcy.

A consult with a local attorney wouldn't hurt either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">