• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA- Uncontested 1A Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lemon1976

Massachusetts

Hello,
All necessary paperwork has been signed and filed for an uncontested 1A Massachusetts divorce between myself and my husband. We have no children and no property disputes etc. We have lived apart for 3 years.
As part of the 1A divorce, after the paperwork is filed, we need to appear in court. The date has been set by the court for next week. I have tried to check with my ex to see if the date is okay with him, but have not received a response. Now I am getting very worried that he will not show up.
Can anyone tell me what will happen if he is a no show? Since all paperwork has been filed can the judge decide to grant the divorce with only myself present?
Thanks so much in advance.

If according to the rules of your court, he was properly served and he does not show for the hearing, he is a no show and the proceeedings will go on without him.

Lemon1976

Thanks! The woman at the court sent out notification of the date today, so I haven't received mine yet...therefore I'm not sure exactly how the summons is delivered (meaning does it have to be signed for etc). I will just keep my fingers crossed...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">