• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making wife move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ogc

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I've only been married for 4 months and I'm trying to make my wife move out.
She's a drug addict who admits marrying me for convenience. I live in an apartment that only my name is on the lease. Can she refuse to move out? She is also threatening to try to get alimony which I know is going to be impossible. She refuses to get a job or even ask if she can stay with family. Any advice would be appreciated.

You just now realized that she is a drug addict . . . YEAH ! ! ! ! Anyway, you two are married so you cannot kick her out of that apartment. Howerver, you can break the lease, and move some where else without telling her

LdiJ

bulldogg70 said:
You just now realized that she is a drug addict . . . YEAH ! ! ! ! Anyway, you two are married so you cannot kick her out of that apartment. Howerver, you can break the lease, and move some where else without telling her
Not unless he wants to screw up his credit. He needs to file for divorce and petition the judge to order her out of the apartment. He also has the option of packing up her stuff and locking her out....if she is an addict I highly doubt that she would be on top of things enough to attempt to assert her rights of tenancy.

However his very best bet would probably be to consult an attorney to find out the quickest and legally safest way to get her out of the apartment.

ogc

I knew she had a problem but she was under treatment which she has given up since we've been married. Thanks for the suggestions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">