• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tup30

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

What is the legal responsibility for both spouses re: marital debt?

Background: i am currently in the process of filing bankruptcy since the house, two cars, and all bills are in my name. my soon to be ex-wife has a credit score in the 400's and was unable to assist in any financing. She has not worked in months, despite having industry experience and an accounting bachelors degree. She visits bars several times a week, and has had between 4 and 11 affairs the past two years with men she exclusively meets in these bars. (I've stopped accepting invitations from family/friends who offer their documentation) I just learned this information.

Is she on the hook for one half of the bankruptcy debt, since it was all accumulated during years of marriage? She doesnt want to be included in the bankruptcy and we file for divorce officially after the mandatory 60 day waiting period(to ensure celibacy) is up in a couple weeks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If the bills are all in your name then the creditors can hold you legally responsible. The family court COULD give her part of the family debt but it is not necessarily likely.

Zephyr

and some times, if the creditors have her name on the account anywhere, they may go after her anyway, after your bankruptcy is discharged

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">