• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Debt/credit fraud Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trixie1967

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was married in July of 2006 and in April of 2007 (after receiveing a collection call) found out that my husband had been using one of my credit cards (I had him as an authorized user) without my knowledge. I opened the card in 1/06 and he began using it a month later. He changed the billing address to a PO Box and I was unaware of the charges. We were separated in August 2007. He claims that the charges were for household expenses however after I pulled the statements, found charges for adult website memberships, atm withdrawals, etc. I called the credit card company and arranged a payment plan in in 4/07. By doing that they are saying that I took responsibility for the charges. Now that we have filed for divorce, I am stuck paying the monthly bill.

My question is, even though the debt he acquired in my name occured before we were married, can he still be held responsible for this debt? We will be having our property distibution hearing in January and I want to know what to expect. I would expect that he would be responsible for at least 50%.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was married in July of 2006 and in April of 2007 (after receiveing a collection call) found out that my husband had been using one of my credit cards (I had him as an authorized user) without my knowledge. I opened the card in 1/06 and he began using it a month later. He changed the billing address to a PO Box and I was unaware of the charges. We were separated in August 2007. He claims that the charges were for household expenses however after I pulled the statements, found charges for adult website memberships, atm withdrawals, etc. I called the credit card company and arranged a payment plan in in 4/07. By doing that they are saying that I took responsibility for the charges. Now that we have filed for divorce, I am stuck paying the monthly bill.

My question is, even though the debt he acquired in my name occured before we were married, can he still be held responsible for this debt? We will be having our property distibution hearing in January and I want to know what to expect. I would expect that he would be responsible for at least 50%.
Did all of the debt occur before you were married?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">