• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Debt with no assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scammed88

What is the name of your state? CA

Family member with following issues:

Second marraige for both spouses. Married little over year now.

House purchased in begining of year. Only one spouse (Spouse 1) is on title/loan (more or less for credit reasons - supposedly).

Spouse 2 has been in control of finances. Spouse 2 uses both incomes to pay down Spouse 2 debts (credit cards in Spouse 2 name only). Spouse 2 uses Spouse 1's credit card (unknowingly to Spouse 1) online to purchase items (Spouse 2 is not an authorized user of Spouse 1's credit card). Spouse 2 maxes out Spouse 1's cards.

Spouse 2 files for divorce. Spouse 2 hasn't made recent payments on house (Spouse 2 "in charge" of finances) but took money (current paycheck of Spouse 1) and transferred it to Spouse 2's personal account (not known by Spouse 1) after court filing of divorce papers.

Questions: Is Spouse 2 liable for debt (mortgage and credit card) under Spouse 1's name under marital debt? There is no equity in house.

Has Spouse 2 made "unauthorized" purchases on Spouse 1's credit card? Is this credit card fraud?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

Family member with following issues:

Second marraige for both spouses. Married little over year now.

House purchased in begining of year. Only one spouse (Spouse 1) is on title/loan (more or less for credit reasons - supposedly).

Spouse 2 has been in control of finances. Spouse 2 uses both incomes to pay down Spouse 2 debts (credit cards in Spouse 2 name only). Spouse 2 uses Spouse 1's credit card (unknowingly to Spouse 1) online to purchase items (Spouse 2 is not an authorized user of Spouse 1's credit card). Spouse 2 maxes out Spouse 1's cards.

Spouse 2 files for divorce. Spouse 2 hasn't made recent payments on house (Spouse 2 "in charge" of finances) but took money (current paycheck of Spouse 1) and transferred it to Spouse 2's personal account (not known by Spouse 1) after court filing of divorce papers.

Questions: Is Spouse 2 liable for debt (mortgage and credit card) under Spouse 1's name under marital debt? There is no equity in house.

Has Spouse 2 made "unauthorized" purchases on Spouse 1's credit card? Is this credit card fraud?
Yes, because the debt was accrued during the marriage spouse 2 is responsible for 1/2 of the debt. However, its a problem because the debt is entirely in spouse 1's name, and spouse 2 has proven a definite lack of responsibility. Spouse 1 is likely to be stuck with the debt, no matter what the court orders.

Yes, its credit card fraud but since they were married, its really unlikely that Spouse 1 would get a DA to prosecute Spouse 2.

If Spouse 1 has directly deposit for his/her paycheck, that needs to be changed immediately to a new account in his name only.

Scammed88

Thanks for the reply.

Can the unauthorized credit card purchased be contested by Spouse 1 to his credit card company?

fire1ss

I know that when I had issues with Capital One they told me that when my (seperated from at the time) wife opened a credit card in my name it was not fraud. She did not list herself as a signer. She purchased everything that was on the card and had it delivered to her home and she signed for the purchases. Their fraud department only took a look because of her signatures on the purchases. They were not interested in the fact that I never opened the account. A spouse can open the account because they have all of the needed information. If someone signs for a card that they are not authorized THAT IS THE FRAUD.

LdiJ

Thanks for the reply.

Can the unauthorized credit card purchased be contested by Spouse 1 to his credit card company?
He can certainly try. It may or may not work. I think that the biggest problem will be that the goods were delivered to his address. (assuming that they were)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">