• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Property or STBX's responsibility ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

My boyfriend's STBX wife called last night and brought up all kinds of "demands" she has. The court date to finalize the divorce is set for next tuesday, May 22nd here in Florida. She is in default and has not yet - in months - sent any paperwork to the court.

Her "demands" are as follows:

1. She wants him to pay for a car that was repossessed about 2 years later, she wasn't working more than half the time they were married and he had to pay for everything and they simply couldn't afford the payments for a brand new car. The right thing would have been to sell it before the repossession and he is aware of that. She bought it in HER name BEFORE he proposed to her (actually on the same day), he did NOT co-sign and it was not registered in his name at any time. She wanted the car and it was her decision to buy it on her credit. She still owes about $ 12,000 on the car.

2. She wants him to pay for a $ 2,000 wedding ring set that she bought with HER Sears card BEFORE they were married because she didn't like the engagement ring he bought for her.

We don't think that he is responsible for those debts since they were incurred BEFORE they were married and because of that those things are NOT marital property. We just need some reassurance that this is really the case. :)

I doubt that anyone here can tell you what is going to happen in court.
Well, most likely she won't show up for court, she lives in TX and the court date is in FL. We just want to know if property bought before they were married is considered marital property and if she could go after my boyfriend in a separate court case for those things.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, most likely she won't show up for court, she lives in TX and the court date is in FL. We just want to know if property bought before they were married is considered marital property and if she could go after my boyfriend in a separate court case for those things.
She could go after him for it if he drove the car and if the car was paid for with marital income. As for a separate court case, that should be handled in the divorce.

She could go after him for it if he drove the car and if the car was paid for with marital income. As for a separate court case, that should be handled in the divorce.
Thanks Ohiogal ! She was the only one driving it and it was in her name only, my boyfriend drove his own car at the time which he had before they were married. What do you think about the Wedding Ring set that she wants him to pay for? It makes me sick that this woman didn't appreciate anything my boyfriend did for her, especially the ring he bought to propose to her wasn't good enough :mad: That's just wrong !!

Last edited:

moburkes

Thanks Ohiogal ! She was the only one driving it and it was in her name only, my boyfriend drove his own car at the time which he had before they were married. What do you think about the Wedding Ring set that she wants him to pay for? It makes me sick that this woman didn't appreciate anything my boyfriend did for her, especially the ring he bought to propose to her wasn't good enough :mad:
Why would it make YOU sick? He was the one that chose to get married to her?:confused: Generally, people are attracted to a specific type of person, so you probably remind him of her in some fashion (not trying to be rude, here).

Why would it make YOU sick? He was the one that chose to get married to her?:confused: Generally, people are attracted to a specific type of person, so you probably remind him of her in some fashion (not trying to be rude, here).
I know, he should have never gotten married to this woman, but he did. He noticed shortly after they got married that they were not compatible (she's an alcoholic and didn't want to work, just wanted someone to take care of her and she's extremely materialistic). Everyone makes mistakes and marrying her was a big mistake, he knows that. That's why they are getting divorced now - 5 more days and counting. :) Contrary to her, I am very appreciative and value everything he does for me. The ONLY thing her and I have in common is that we are both blonde :D

Last edited:

Bali Hai

I know, he should have never gotten married to this woman, but he did. He noticed shortly after they got married that they were not compatible (she's an alcoholic and didn't want to work, just wanted someone to take care of her and she's extremely materialistic). Everyone makes mistakes and marrying her was a big mistake, he knows that. That's why they are getting divorced now - 5 more days and counting. :) Contrary to her, I am very appreciative and value everything he does for me. The ONLY thing her and I have in common is that we are both blonde :D
That's nice, now what do you do for HIM???

That's nice, now what do you do for HIM???
Where do you want me to start ? - is this a trick question because I'm blonde ? :p :)

I respect him and treat him right. I am his confidant, soul-mate and real partner, we talk every day and laugh too. We have our own business and I support him in every way possible - by doing the administrative work at home and also go out on jobs with him and help. I don't just take like his ex did, I always give more than I take. Is that what you wanted to hear ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">