• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Settlement Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anita213

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My husband and I are divorcing - friendly and in complete agreement on everything. Do we have to file a Marital Settlement Agreement? And if we do, do we have to list vehicles? There are two in his name only and one in my name only. We agree completely on the division of all the stuff. Do we have to list things with VIN numbers, etc. or can we simply state that we've agreed on the division of property?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My husband and I are divorcing - friendly and in complete agreement on everything. Do we have to file a Marital Settlement Agreement? And if we do, do we have to list vehicles? There are two in his name only and one in my name only. We agree completely on the division of all the stuff. Do we have to list things with VIN numbers, etc. or can we simply state that we've agreed on the division of property?
You should hire an attorney to prepare this for you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We are not getting lawyers - could I just have my question answered?
Your question was answered with your best option. That answer came from an attorney with TONS of experience.

ETA: Now that I think about it...are you REALLY here asking if you can take shortcuts on something this important?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Apparently, you believe it's 'ok' to take shortcuts on something this important.

THAT is why you should have an attorney prepare this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The fact that she hasn't read the statutes, the local rules, and the rules of civil procedure should completely be a clue she needs an attorney. She refuses as she wants to cobble this together on the cheap. I repeat -- penny wise, pound foolish.

Ginevra

Ugh, some people actually think that it hasn't occurred to these posters to hire an attorney. I don't know about them, but to me it's a moot point to even MENTION that there are a zillion factors potentially precluding someone from retaining an attorney. Just unbelievable how obstinate people can be. "Hire an attorney" as a response to someone who has the gumption to look for help on their own, which in many cases shows ambition... makes my head spin.

Anyway, I'm in Texas and the states are different, but we agreed on everything in my prior divorce and no paperwork was involved other than the decree itself stating, toward the end, that property stuff was all in agreement. I'm twice married and MAY be looking at divorce now, not sure... but there would be property issues therefore my attorney provided me with all the paperwork I have to do - only because we do have to split stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">