• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marital settlement agreement still not right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deedee.moreda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband and I agree on all of the terms of our agreement, but each time I send it to my lawyer (the last time it was just to change two numbers) it takes over a month and comes back with other errors. This is the second or third time this has happened. I have spoken to the lawyer and written emails expressing my concerns but it hasn't helped. I don't want to work with this office anymore.

I was considering going to a paralegal to type up the final agreement and file with the court. What are my options?

Thank you,
DeeDee

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband and I agree on all of the terms of our agreement, but each time I send it to my lawyer (the last time it was just to change two numbers) it takes over a month and comes back with other errors. This is the second or third time this has happened. I have spoken to the lawyer and written emails expressing my concerns but it hasn't helped. I don't want to work with this office anymore.

I was considering going to a paralegal to type up the final agreement and file with the court. What are my options?

Thank you,
DeeDee
You have lots of options - but most of them are likely to be more expensive than having the existing attorney finish what he started.

I would personally continue with the current lawyer and then keep track of all expenses caused by his error - and then ask him to reduce his fees so that you're not paying for his mistakes.

However, something doesn't add up. Almost all attorneys use word processing programs and simply make changes in the document as needed. If he merely had to change 2 numbers, why would he introduce other changes? I guess it's possible he started with the wrong version, but that shouldn't happen more than once. Were the errors brand new or was it simply that you didn't catch them on previous versions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">