• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marriage before the date of divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pibijeans

California

My father has been married to a Vietnamese on the year 1970, and they got legally separated on 1977. Then they filed for a divorce that was took effect on on 1995. But prior to this my father got married to my mom here in the Philippines on 1989. The question is, is my parents marriage considered void? They have been together for 25 years now. Do they have to get annulled and re-married again to make their marriage valid in cases that their marriage may be considered void by the US government?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
California

My father has been married to a Vietnamese on the year 1970, and they got legally separated on 1977. Then they filed for a divorce that was took effect on on 1995. But prior to this my father got married to my mom here in the Philippines on 1989. The question is, is my parents marriage considered void? They have been together for 25 years now. Do they have to get annulled and re-married again to make their marriage valid in cases that their marriage may be considered void by the US government?
Are they in the Philippines or in California? And your father is a bigamist which is a felony.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I suspect their marriage is NOT legal in the Phillipines, at least.

Your parents need to deal with this, not you, to be honest.

I don't know how accurate thus info is, but it makes sense. Daddy screwed up...

http://lifebeyondthesea.com/getting-re-married-in-the-philippines-what-you-need-to-know/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">