• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage correction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jetpt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Been married to my wife for 4 years and we have a 3 year old son. We just found out that our marriage is not valid because apparently my wife's previous marriage that happened in foreign country was not properly terminated. So, we want to make it right. We've been told that my wife has to divorce her previous husband and we have to re-marry . My question are:

1. do we need to file anything in court to invalidate our current marriage first before my wife files for her previous marriage's divorce?
2. And since my wife and her previous husband have 2 kids together, will that complicate the divorce process esp the kids and the previous husband are both in foreign country?

My wife has already talked to her previous husband and he's willing to cooperate with the process. We are intending to bring the kids over so is that also something that should be stipulated in the divorce proceeding.

We are planning to do our own filing (divorce of previous marriage)

Appreciate your adviseWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

Been married to my wife for 4 years and we have a 3 year old son. We just found out that our marriage is not valid because apparently my wife's previous marriage that happened in foreign country was not properly terminated. So, we want to make it right. We've been told that my wife has to divorce her previous husband and we have to re-marry . My question are:

1. do we need to file anything in court to invalidate our current marriage first before my wife files for her previous marriage's divorce?
2. And since my wife and her previous husband have 2 kids together, will that complicate the divorce process esp the kids and the previous husband are both in foreign country?

My wife has already talked to her previous husband and he's willing to cooperate with the process. We are intending to bring the kids over so is that also something that should be stipulated in the divorce proceeding.

Does that father know that your plan is to bring his kids to the US?

Is Mom paying dad child support?

jetpt

yes, the father is aware. my wife and him has agreement already. Kids are with my wife's mom right now.

LdiJ

I would recommend at least getting a consult with a local attorney...even if you ultimately do not hire one. In my opinion this really is not a DIY project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">