• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage in Idaho with Dutch Citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timmy_boy1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

Ok I got married in August of 2007 in Boise Idaho, my ex wife is a dutch citizen. We split by the end of September 2007 and she moved back to the Netherlands. We split on bad terms we didnt get to divorce here.

In Novemeber 2007 i got a job as a contractor for the U.S Army overseas! So i was away from the states for 2 years and i just retruned in February 2010.
I have recieved some letters from a dutch attorney that she has filed for a divorce over there in oct 2007. Over 2 years have gone by i was contracting and this matter just remained like that. I went down to the court house and they told me to contact the attorney in the Netherlands. So i tried calling and talking to them, terrible english, they kept telling me to call back, and that they think that the divorce is done overthere. So i e-mailed them and still nothing!

The lady at the court house here in Boise Idaho told me that it might very well be finished in the dutch court and that would mean that i'm divorced. I cant seem to get a straight forward answer by anybody. I was given a card for a free 800 number to call for consultation and i just did that and left a message.! No children were born during this marriage.
CAN ANYBODY PLEASE JUST STEER ME IN THE RITE DIRECTION AS TO WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO MAKE SURE THAT I'M DIVORCED BY LAW???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
File for divorce in your county. Can't hurt, and then you'd be SURE you were divorced...

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

Ok I got married in August of 2007 in Boise Idaho, my ex wife is a dutch citizen. We split by the end of September 2007 and she moved back to the Netherlands. We split on bad terms we didnt get to divorce here.

In Novemeber 2007 i got a job as a contractor for the U.S Army overseas! So i was away from the states for 2 years and i just retruned in February 2010.
I have recieved some letters from a dutch attorney that she has filed for a divorce over there in oct 2007. Over 2 years have gone by i was contracting and this matter just remained like that. I went down to the court house and they told me to contact the attorney in the Netherlands. So i tried calling and talking to them, terrible english, they kept telling me to call back, and that they think that the divorce is done overthere. So i e-mailed them and still nothing!

The lady at the court house here in Boise Idaho told me that it might very well be finished in the dutch court and that would mean that i'm divorced. I cant seem to get a straight forward answer by anybody. I was given a card for a free 800 number to call for consultation and i just did that and left a message.! No children were born during this marriage.
CAN ANYBODY PLEASE JUST STEER ME IN THE RITE DIRECTION AS TO WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO MAKE SURE THAT I'M DIVORCED BY LAW???

mistoffolees

File for divorce in your county. Can't hurt, and then you'd be SURE you were divorced...
Or, make additional efforts to see if you can track down the info you need. That's going to be far less expensive than filing for divorce in the US. Try the Dutch embassy. Or contact the attorney again with an official letter (while many Europeans speak English well, some do not, but even those who don't speak English well often read it reasonably well).

timmy_boy1

thanks for the help i guys, i thought about filing for divorce here but than if its allready done on that side it would save me lots of work! I will try again to talk to the dutch agency over there and see where it goes...

Thanks again

mistoffolees

thanks for the help i guys, i thought about filing for divorce here but than if its allready done on that side it would save me lots of work! I will try again to talk to the dutch agency over there and see where it goes...

Thanks again
Try the Dutch embassy in the U.S., as well. There are likely to be fewer language problems since embassy employees are almost always fluent in the host country's language.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">