• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is marriage legal in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

longhornson82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I got married to someone who I thought was divorced from her first marriage. She told me that she had been divorced from her first husband and I took her word for it. Believe me this marriage has cost me dearly. Here is the issue, after she forced me out of my house and I realized i was never going to work things out with her i decided to file for divorce but first I searched records to find out if she was divorced from her first husband. Turns out there is no divorce on file anywhere. She filed but it was never finalized. So should I seek an annulement for fraud or a divorce? Also can I suite her in civil court for fraud?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I got married to someone who I thought was divorced from her first marriage. She told me that she had been divorced from her first husband and I took her word for it. Believe me this marriage has cost me dearly. Here is the issue, after she forced me out of my house and I realized i was never going to work things out with her i decided to file for divorce but first I searched records to find out if she was divorced from her first husband. Turns out there is no divorce on file anywhere. She filed but it was never finalized. So should I seek an annulement for fraud or a divorce? Also can I suite her in civil court for fraud?

No, you can't sue her.

It's easier to just get divorced (assuming the marriage is legal and not void, versus voidable)

Proserpina

I'm curious.

OP, did you check every county in every state?

That would have been quite the task (specially since not every state has their records online).

Bali Hai

I'm curious.

OP, did you check every county in every state?

That would have been quite the task (specially since not every state has their records online).
This is very true. For instance, if someone is receiving alimony and secretly remarries, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible for the average person to discover that information. Agree?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">