• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married 30 days and my husband left the country Need HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caliusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?California

Today I went to the self help center in my town of Long Beach and they said they don't help people who want to get an annulment.
I dated this man for 1 year and even though we had our troubles we still got married in December of 2014. One month after the
marriage he wanted nothing to do with staying in this country. He is from Australia. He wrote a note and said to get an annulment and left.

Now what do I do? I can't serve him, he is not in this country. I have the letter and a copy of his passport and his airline ticket. Will I be
able to get an annulment? Is there any help centers in LA county that can help me?

Thank you for your advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on what you've posted, I don't think you have grounds for an annulment. I suggest that you get a divorce.

Caliusa

Well because we did not consummate the marriage I thought I had grounds for annulment.. He had male problems.
but would the fact that he is not in the country prevent me from getting one? it was a long distance relationship this is why I did not know he had problems..

Last edited:

LdiJ

Well because we did not consummate the marriage I thought I had grounds for annulment.. He had male problems.
but would the fact that he is not in the country prevent me from getting one? it was a long distance relationship this is why I did not know he had problems..
Is an annulment important to you for some reason? It is much, much easier to get a divorce than an annulment. If you just want everything over, get a divorce. If an annulment is truly important to you for some reason, hire an attorney and be prepared to spend some relatively serious money.

Caliusa

Is an annulment important to you for some reason? It is much, much easier to get a divorce than an annulment. If you just want everything over, get a divorce. If an annulment is truly important to you for some reason, hire an attorney and be prepared to spend some relatively serious money.
That is a shame that they make it difficult.. but thanks for the advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is a shame that they make it difficult.. but thanks for the advice.
It's difficult because you're attempting to rewrite history. The fact is (legally an realistically) that you were married. You are trying to change the legal legal fact that you were married, and that is a higher hurdle than simply ending the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">