• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Oscaig

What is the name of your state?
Wisconsin

I was married 15 years ago in Scotland. My husband is active duty military. We have lived in the US for 13 years and there may be a divorce in the near furture. Does my husband need to file in the country we were married in?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Oscaig said:
What is the name of your state?
Wisconsin

I was married 15 years ago in Scotland. My husband is active duty military. We have lived in the US for 13 years and there may be a divorce in the near furture. Does my husband need to file in the country we were married in?

My response:

No. That would be ludicrous. If people were required to go back to the country of origin of where they were married, that would place too much of a burden upon society.

The fact of the matter is that you can file for divorce in the city or town where you live, just as long as you've satisfied the county and State residency requirements - - and it sounds like you have.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">