• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married in another country and divorcing in US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juanims

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
a friend of mine married in another country. They currently live together in NC and want to divorce. Do they need to divorce here since they were never married in the US? Other than the child, they don't have any property together, not even a bank account. will he need to provide spouse support? She has a degree although she never wanted to learn English and work. I told him that since they reside in NC, they need to live separate from each other for a minimum of a year before they can even apply for a divorce and that they should have a separation agremeent agreed and signed.
They have a little girl born in the US and the wife wants to take the baby to Florida. What can he do to prevent that she takes the child wihtout his permission while they agree on separation and divorce terms?

thansk so much.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
a friend of mine married in another country. They currently live together in NC and want to divorce. Do they need to divorce here since they were never married in the US? Other than the child, they don't have any property together, not even a bank account. will he need to provide spouse support? She has a degree although she never wanted to learn English and work. I told him that since they reside in NC, they need to live separate from each other for a minimum of a year before they can even apply for a divorce and that they should have a separation agremeent agreed and signed.
They have a little girl born in the US and the wife wants to take the baby to Florida. What can he do to prevent that she takes the child wihtout his permission while they agree on separation and divorce terms?

thansk so much.
Any marriage that is legal in any country in the world, is recognized in the US. Therefore yes, they have to get a divorce, and yes, they can get divorced in the US.

He may have to provide spousal support, it depends on many different factors. If mom has primary custody of the child, he will have to pay child support as well.

No, there really isn't anything that he can do to stop his wife from taking the child to florida, until he files for divorce or legal separation and asks the judge to order that the she be restrained from removing the child from NC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">