+ Reply to Thread
    juanims is offline Junior Member

Married in another country and divorcing in US

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
    a friend of mine married in another country. They currently live together in NC and want to divorce. Do they need to divorce here since they were never married in the US? Other than the child, they don't have any property together, not even a bank account. will he need to provide spouse support? She has a degree although she never wanted to learn English and work. I told him that since they reside in NC, they need to live separate from each other for a minimum of a year before they can even apply for a divorce and that they should have a separation agremeent agreed and signed.
    They have a little girl born in the US and the wife wants to take the baby to Florida. What can he do to prevent that she takes the child wihtout his permission while they agree on separation and divorce terms?

thansk so much.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanims View Post
    What is the name of your state? North Carolina
    a friend of mine married in another country. They currently live together in NC and want to divorce. Do they need to divorce here since they were never married in the US? Other than the child, they don't have any property together, not even a bank account. will he need to provide spouse support? She has a degree although she never wanted to learn English and work. I told him that since they reside in NC, they need to live separate from each other for a minimum of a year before they can even apply for a divorce and that they should have a separation agremeent agreed and signed.
    They have a little girl born in the US and the wife wants to take the baby to Florida. What can he do to prevent that she takes the child wihtout his permission while they agree on separation and divorce terms?

thansk so much.
    Any marriage that is legal in any country in the world, is recognized in the US. Therefore yes, they have to get a divorce, and yes, they can get divorced in the US.

He may have to provide spousal support, it depends on many different factors. If mom has primary custody of the child, he will have to pay child support as well.

No, there really isn't anything that he can do to stop his wife from taking the child to florida, until he files for divorce or legal separation and asks the judge to order that the she be restrained from removing the child from NC.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Does she want to move to, or vacation in, Florida with the baby?
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.