• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married but she isn't on the lease now - can I make her leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbauls

I live in Pennsylvania.

We rent an apartment together. As of right now she is on the lease. Starting January 1 2010 she will not be on the lease anymore. Now that she isn't on the lease can I ask the police to get her to leave?

cyjeff

Being on the lease or not has nothing to do with the eviction process... at least not in your case.

If you don't want her there, you have to provide her with proper notification, proper acknowledgement and then go through the process.

You cannot just kick her out in the street tomorrow.

Banned_Princess

listen, I don't know what you don't get.

Lease or not SHE LIVES THERE. She has a right to be treated the way any one with a home is treated. which is with due process, and the time to secure a new home before being tossed to the streets.

Haven't you read ANY of the threads from the countless other people who want to toss roommates / friends / tenants / family members , and strangers out of their home, and into the street for whatever reason.

You and your situation is not at all special, and you need to get over yourself.

AS court needs to evict her, and i am not going to tell you how to do that. Let someone with patience for retain -no -knowlege -losers like yourself, do that.

I hope you illegally evict her, and are sued for whatever little possessions you have. like your crack pipe.

mistoffolees

Being on the lease or not has nothing to do with the eviction process... at least not in your case.

If you don't want her there, you have to provide her with proper notification, proper acknowledgement and then go through the process.

It's not that simple. He can't give her notification and ask her to leave. It's the marital residence.

If he wants her to leave, he has to ask the COURT to give him exclusive use of the marital residence.

LdiJ

They are married according to the title of his thread. Therefore this advice isn't correct.

She has every right to live in the marital home until he files for divorce, he asks for sole possession of the marital home, and the judge grants it to him.

Until then, he cannot kick her out or evict her, even if he is the only person on the lease.

cyjeff

It's not that simple. He can't give her notification and ask her to leave. It's the marital residence.

If he wants her to leave, he has to ask the COURT to give him exclusive use of the marital residence.
You are correct.... I read divorced for some reason.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What Ld and Misty said. Eviction is NOT what needs to happen here. Eviction between a married couple? Ummm, not of the marital residence.

jbauls

Thank you all for your intelligent answers. I just had to be VERY clear on what the legal process was.

As far as princess' answer, well I just won't respond to that.

Thank you all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">