• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married In Canada/Divorced In U.S.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phoenix26

I am a Canadian born citizen, married to a U.S. born citizen, in the province of Ontario (Canada). Since then, I have moved to the United States, and obtained permanent resident status (10 yr Green Card). My husband and I are now divorced, and were divorced through the Pennsylvania court system.

Would this mean we're still married in Canada? Is there any paperwork that I would still need to provide stating the status of our marraige to the Canadian courts, or is it automatically presumed that we are divorced in Canada as well?

Since then, he has remarried and it would be interesting to know the validity of his marraige. Furthermore, I would like to know for myself, under the cirmcumstances that I may marry oneday as well - would my marraige be valid?

LdiJ

I am a Canadian born citizen, married to a U.S. born citizen, in the province of Ontario (Canada). Since then, I have moved to the United States, and obtained permanent resident status (10 yr Green Card). My husband and I are now divorced, and were divorced through the Pennsylvania court system.

Would this mean we're still married in Canada? Is there any paperwork that I would still need to provide stating the status of our marraige to the Canadian courts, or is it automatically presumed that we are divorced in Canada as well?

Since then, he has remarried and it would be interesting to know the validity of his marraige. Furthermore, I would like to know for myself, under the cirmcumstances that I may marry oneday as well - would my marraige be valid?
That really is a Canadian law question, however I do believe that in most western countries that a divorce in one country, is equally valid in another, just as a marriage in one country is equally valid in another.

Certainly if it were reversed, that you got married in the US and divorced in Canada, the US would recognize your Canadian divorce.

I am 99% certain that his remarriage is perfect valid and any remarriage that you would enter into would be equally valid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">