• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married in foreign country, divorce in United States

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pkho

We live in the state of Illinois. We married in other country back in 1998 before we move to the US. Now our marriage is in trouble and we both thinking about divorce. We own a house that we bought 8 years ago. The down payment is from my money (80%) and from her money (20%). since 5 years ago I got laid off and I decided to start my own home based business. But the business didn't generate income, so basically each month the mortgage souce of payment is from my wife's paycheck.
My questions:
1. Since we are not married under US law, how should we process our divorce?
2. How is the proceed from selling our house should be divided between us?
I put large amount of money for the down payment, but she paid the mortgage during the last 5 years.

I appreciate an advice regarding this matter. Thank you.

mistoffolees

We live in the state of Illinois. We married in other country back in 1998 before we move to the US. Now our marriage is in trouble and we both thinking about divorce. We own a house that we bought 8 years ago. The down payment is from my money (80%) and from her money (20%). since 5 years ago I got laid off and I decided to start my own home based business. But the business didn't generate income, so basically each month the mortgage souce of payment is from my wife's paycheck.
My questions:
I put large amount of money for the down payment, but she paid the mortgage during the last 5 years.

You will process the divorce exactly as a couple who were married here. The location of the marriage does not matter (with perhaps a few rare exceptions).

Whose name is on the title for the home?

LdiJ

My questions:

The fact that you got married outside the US is irrelevant. The US recognizes all legal foreign marriages. You would simply get a divorce like anyone else would.

The house is marital property. Its going to be a 50/50 division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">