• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married an italian on a tourist visa in CA & I need to get a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

innov8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

In 2012, I married an Italian citizen when he was on a tourist visa. He left 3 months after we were married and never returned. I would like to file for divorce and he is in compliance, what is the easiest way to go about it? Summary Dissolution? We do not have children or property together. He never filed for his citizenship. He signed the summary dissolution papers, but I'm not sure if that's the way we should go about it.

OHRoadwarrior

File for divorce and ask the judge to do so by publication. Interesting that another woman married an Australian in CA and posted today on another forum about the same thing.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

In 2012, I married an Italian citizen when he was on a tourist visa. He left 3 months after we were married and never returned. I would like to file for divorce and he is in compliance, what is the easiest way to go about it? Summary Dissolution? We do not have children or property together. He never filed for his citizenship. He signed the summary dissolution papers (?) , but I'm not sure if that's the way we should go about it.
On the surface it would appear that summary dissolution under Sections 2400-2406 of the California Family Code - rather than the regular more formal process of dissolving the marriage - might be available to you.

However, if your reference to "summary dissolution papers" is to indicate that you are the least familiar with the information contained in the booklet (Form FL 810) you should know that is a complicated process requiring joint participation and application by both spouses.

My suggestion is that you seek help from a California lawyer familiar with the procedure. It is conceivable that you could do so without professional guidance, but then you might learn six months hence that the time and energy was wasted.

latigo

File for divorce and ask the judge to do so by publication (?). Interesting that another woman married an Australian in CA and posted today on another forum about the same thing.
Likewise "interesting" is to know if you replied to the other woman's "post" with similar unschooled guesswork.

The California resident is concerned as to whether the circumstances and conditions of her marriage AND the supposed co-signing of "summary dissolution papers" are such as to sustain a "Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution" (Form FL-800) as opposed to a "regular dissolution" and you, obviously having no understanding of either process, opt to reply with senseless legalese.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">