• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

married in Jamacia divorced in calif

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ngcoleman

What is the name of your state? calif

Question, my exwife and I met in Calif, went to Jamaica to get married in 1997. returned to Calif in 1997 where we both currently reside. The (ex)wife filed for divorced in 2003, she then got remarried in 2007. Our divorced is not finalized yet. I have 3 questions:

1) We have a marriage certificate from our 1997 Jamaica - is that marriage recognized in Calif?

2) We lived together in Calif for 7yrs - do all laws for divorce for alimony and 50/50 division of assets acquired during marriage apply?

3) Is her current marriage an act of bigamy?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? calif

Question, my exwife and I met in Calif, went to Jamaica to get married in 1997. returned to Calif in 1997 where we both currently reside. The (ex)wife filed for divorced in 2003, she then got remarried in 2007. Our divorced is not finalized yet. I have 3 questions:

1) We have a marriage certificate from our 1997 Jamaica - is that marriage recognized in Calif?
If the marriage was legal in Jamaica, then the US will recognize it.

2) We lived together in Calif for 7yrs - do all laws for divorce for alimony and 50/50 division of assets acquired during marriage apply?
Yes......

3) Is her current marriage an act of bigamy?
Maybe...a divorce can happen in CA without property settlements being finalized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">