• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married to a non citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elizabeth H

What is the name of your state? Virginia. I am married to a citizen of the U.K. When we married he was on a visitors visa. Since then he has gone home with no intentions of returning ( I didn't know this when he left). Now he wants an American Divorce. Can he do that from England? What rights do I have? How can I find out if I have any rights in England? Since he abandoned me should I get intouch with the English government to make sure he doesn't marry again till we are divorced, how do I do that?

LdiJ

Elizabeth H said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia. I am married to a citizen of the U.K. When we married he was on a visitors visa. Since then he has gone home with no intentions of returning ( I didn't know this when he left). Now he wants an American Divorce. Can he do that from England? What rights do I have? How can I find out if I have any rights in England? Since he abandoned me should I get intouch with the English government to make sure he doesn't marry again till we are divorced, how do I do that?
What rights are you looking for? Do you object to the divorce?

Elizabeth H

Not contesting

I am not contesting but I do want support and anything else I can get from this man. He took me for 10k and I want to make sure I get all of it back. He thinks he is safe being in England. I don't want him to be safe. Personally, I think he has either another wife or someone he doesn't want to know about me.

LdiJ

Elizabeth H said:
I am not contesting but I do want support and anything else I can get from this man. He took me for 10k and I want to make sure I get all of it back. He thinks he is safe being in England. I don't want him to be safe. Personally, I think he has either another wife or someone he doesn't want to know about me.
How long have you been married, and how long did you live together?

Elizabeth H

Married

I live in Virginia.We have been married for about 6 months. He left me on September 4. We were living together Since December 18, 2004. During all the time we were together he never worked. I supported the two of us. I am not contesting the divorce but I would like all the money I spent ($10,000.00) returned to me. Can he get an American divorce while he is in England? How would I let the British authorities know he is married?

LdiJ

Elizabeth H said:
I live in Virginia.We have been married for about 6 months. He left me on September 4. We were living together Since December 18, 2004. During all the time we were together he never worked. I supported the two of us. I am not contesting the divorce but I would like all the money I spent ($10,000.00) returned to me. Can he get an American divorce while he is in England? How would I let the British authorities know he is married?
I am sorry, but with that short of a marriage you have no hope of walking away with anything more than what you have now. You might have some civil recourse on some level (outside of the divorce process) depending on how that money was spent.....but the odds of collecting from someone in England are low....and it would probably cost you more than 10k to manage it if you could.

Elizabeth H

what are the odds

Virginia. So what are the odds of him obtaining an American divorce while he is living in England? How will I know if he is actually filing or if he is just playing me with another con?

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
I am sorry, but with that short of a marriage you have no hope of walking away with anything more than what you have now. You might have some civil recourse on some level (outside of the divorce process) depending on how that money was spent.....but the odds of collecting from someone in England are low....and it would probably cost you more than 10k to manage it if you could.
Yep. Kiss that 10k goodbye and consider youself lucky that it didn't cost you more than that.

Get the divorce and move on.

Elizabeth H

I still haven't gotten the answer to my question. Is it possible for him to get an American divorce when he lives in England?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He may be able to file for divorce in VA - you'd need a local lawyer to tell you for sure.

You can pretty well forget support - the marriage simply is not long enough for it to be warranted. Your $10k? Depends what it was for, how the expenditures were represented, how your funds were comingled, etc.

At the end of the day, the best thing you could do for yourself is bite the bullet and file for divorce yourself. And then move on with your life with a lesson learned under your belt.

Elizabeth H

Bed and Board Divorce

Virginia. I have just read that Virginia has what is called a bed and board divorce. Can someone explain what that is? I understand that it would be available to me if I was deserted by my spouse with not intention of returning. How long would he have to be gone for me to use this as grounds? How would I go about filing for this? Do I need a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">