• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married Or not That is the ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BillyTexas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My sister has been seperated from an abusive husband for about 8 years.
I don't think that she has ever divorced him. Or the other way around. She says that she talked to a lawyer and that after so long the marriage just kinda goes away. I don't think that is right. Where would I look to find out if they are still married

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My sister has been seperated from an abusive husband for about 8 years.
I don't think that she has ever divorced him. Or the other way around. She says that she talked to a lawyer and that after so long the marriage just kinda goes away. I don't think that is right. Where would I look to find out if they are still married
The marriage doesn't just kinda go away. Either your sister is not telling you the truth about what the lawyer said, or she misunderstood the lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">