• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married in S. Africa and want to divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Micheal852

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
A husband and wife, citizens of S. Africa and married in S. Africa, have been living in Oregon for many years and the wife is now a US citizen. The couple want to divorce. How do they proceed?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
A husband and wife, citizens of S. Africa and married in S. Africa, have been living in Oregon for many years and the wife is now a US citizen. The couple want to divorce. How do they proceed?
Just like any other couple, they file for divorce. It doesn't matter where they got married. All that matters is that they legally reside in the US.

Micheal852

Follow up question

I hope I am following the rules of the forum in posting this additional question. If not, please let me know.
The wife in the above question has been living with my friend (a female) in my friend's house for 3 years. My friend referred to their relationship as a "domestic partnership" (no formal, signed DP agreement of any kind) until they ended this relationship in December 2007. My friend seems convinced that her former partner (still married to her S. African husband) can bring - and may win - legal action to get "support" from my friend. This former partner is in the process of moving out of my friend’s house. Are things "different in Oregon" such that a court would force my friend to give this woman anything?

JETX

Are things "different in Oregon" such that a court would force my friend to give this woman anything?
If I understand your post correctly, she cannot get 'custodial support' from one person.... while still married to another.

Farfalla

Even if the 'wife' were not married, 3 years of living together is usually not enough to warrent a court giving support to one of the partners.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">