• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married still?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Recoil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I received divorce papers that were stamped filed in may of 2009 In July of 2009 I got re-married in Las Vegas. A week ago I received the papers again this time with a stamp that said November. After calling the clerk it turns out the county clerk it turns out the divorce was not final until November. Am I still married to my current wife? Am I in any legal trouble?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hisbabygirl77

I received divorce papers that were stamped filed in may of 2009 In July of 2009 I got re-married in Las Vegas. A week ago I received the papers again this time with a stamp that said November. After calling the clerk it turns out the county clerk it turns out the divorce was not final until November. Am I still married to my current wife? Am I in any legal trouble?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Nope you can not get married while married. Legally, your marriage to the current wife is not legal and therefore not valid.

LdiJ

You committed bigamy. You could be in legal trouble if your current spouse decides to make a stink about it. Your current marriage is voidable but not void.

You could marry your current spouse again and have a fully legal marriage.

And for anyone else reading this thread...you aren't divorced until you get paperwork saying that your divorce is FINAL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">