• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married too quick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeremycedotal

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

Here's the situation. I just got married on Oct 7, 2005. My new wife and I have decided that we made a mistake. Since it has only been a little over a month, is there a way to just get the marriage annulled and go our separate ways. There are no hard feelings, we just want to be single.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unless you meet the requirements for annulment in your state, you'll need a divorce. Which is usually less expensive and faster than an annulment anyway.

Hopefully, you've both learned a valuable lesson from this.

jeremycedotal

i can't just take a mulligan?

I thought there was a time period after you are married, that u can just end the marriage no questions asked?

jeremycedotal

talked to 2 lawyers

Alright, let me give ya'll a little background information. My wife and I got married in Arkansas on 10/7/05, but we live in Louisiana. We now have mutually decided it would be best if we just went our separate ways.

Here is my dilemma:

In Louisiana, the way to dissolve the marriage is to live in separate residences for 6 months (no such thing as legally separated in Louisiana any more). After that, I can get papers wrote up and sent to her. If she agrees with them, than she just doesn't show up for court, judges signs, done. Oh yeah, $550 is the cost.

But the LA lawyer I talked to said that Louisiana can't annul another state's marriage. I feel like since we have only been together for a month AND one of the main reasons why we do not want to pursue this marriage is because one of us does not want any more kids and the other does, we should be granted an annulment. The problem is I can't get any straight answers about this.

I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">