• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married Twice to Same Spouse, Must I divorce twice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rannam04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a retired military member. While on active duty, I married another active duty member in Naples, Italy. We used the Italian marriage certificate to gain marital status and benefits in the military.

Less than a year later, after returning to the states, we decided to get married again so that we could have a U.S. marriage certificate. We married in Florida.

We are now getting divorced, and are filing in Florida. Do we have to get an Italian divorce since we originally married in Italy?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You did not have to get remarried in Florida. Your date of marriage is the marital date in Italy. Whether or not you need a divorce in Italy depends on Italian law.

LdiJ

You did not have to get remarried in Florida. Your date of marriage is the marital date in Italy. Whether or not you need a divorce in Italy depends on Italian law.
Unless you are still living in Italy, its irrelevant that you married in Italy. You need one divorce and you need it in the US if that is where you are living.

However, I would recommend that you disclose both marriages as part of the divorce...or at least disclose both marriages to the attorneys that you hire to handle the divorce, since this isn't one that you want to handle without an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">