• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

married in two states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sawyer

Missouri. My boyfriend married the same girl in two different states so how would we go about getting a divorce from her. We live in the state of missouri. Would one divorce cover both marriages? I really need help on this please

CJane

I'm thinking it can't possibly matter what state(s) he was married in... it's not as if anyone else would have to file for divorce in the state in which the marriage took place (I was married in KS and divorced in MO)...

But I'd love to know WHY this guy got married to the same person more than once... presumably without a divorce taking place in between. Is it bigamy if it's mulitple marriages to the same person?

gawm

CJane said:
But I'd love to know WHY this guy got married to the same person more than once... presumably without a divorce taking place in between. Is it bigamy if it's mulitple marriages to the same person?
Maybe they were so in love they renewed their vows on their anniversary. I can see why the OP wants him for herself, he must be very romantic ;) :D

sawyer

Missouri To clarify why he was married in two states is because the woman he married told him the first marriage wasn't leagal and he belived her

LdiJ

sawyer said:
Missouri To clarify why he was married in two states is because the woman he married told him the first marriage wasn't leagal and he belived her
Well, if the first marriage wasn't legal then its the second marriage that has to be listed in the divorce. However, if the first marriage WAS legal, then its the reverse.

Your boyfriend needs to consult an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">