• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Matrimonial assets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gsyman

I have been married for just over 6 years and now looking at divorce. We married in Guernsey, Channel Islands, where I was born and she is a south African. Over the past couple of years my business went under and I incurred some debts, which is half the reason the divorce is pending. I am still in debt and now have health issues. My wife has left Guernsey and will be living in Grenada, West indies with a $100 k per annum job, free housing and free car. It has come to my attention that whist we are/were married that she had a bond mature and brought/sold properties and even purchased land and built on these in South Africa. Whist she wouldn't give the locations exactly, during a drunken rant she informed me that she had purchased a summer house, which she gave to her father, brought and sold a villa for 40k gbp and sold for 86k gbp. The new build is on a gated island and average property sells for 350k gbp. And then proceeded to tell me that she MIGHT have 1 or 2 more and that I will never get my hands on them.
So firstly. These properties would count as matrimonial assets?
2nd. Should I divorce in Guernsey or Grenada?
3rd. How difficult is this bearing in mind that Grenada is part of the British commonwealth and it would have its own laws.
4th. Do any U.S laws regarding divorce carry weight in Grenada.
Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to seeing the responses.

I have been married for just over 6 years and now looking at divorce. We married in Guernsey, Channel Islands, where I was born and she is a south African. Over the past couple of years my business went under and I incurred some debts, which is half the reason the divorce is pending. I am still in debt and now have health issues. My wife has left Guernsey and will be living in Grenada, West indies with a $100 k per annum job, free housing and free car. It has come to my attention that whist we are/were married that she had a bond mature and brought/sold properties and even purchased land and built on these in South Africa. Whist she wouldn't give the locations exactly, during a drunken rant she informed me that she had purchased a summer house, which she gave to her father, brought and sold a villa for 40k gbp and sold for 86k gbp. The new build is on a gated island and average property sells for 350k gbp. And then proceeded to tell me that she MIGHT have 1 or 2 more and that I will never get my hands on them.
So firstly. These properties would count as matrimonial assets?
2nd. Should I divorce in Guernsey or Grenada?
3rd. How difficult is this bearing in mind that Grenada is part of the British commonwealth and it would have its own laws.
4th. Do any U.S laws regarding divorce carry weight in Grenada.
Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to seeing the responses.

I think it's safe to say..

Sorry, U.S. laws only...:rolleyes:

..______________________
~ The only thing in life achieved without effort, is failure

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">