• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediation help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessie0077

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I am writing this on behalf of a friend who is in the middle of a divorce. She and her soon to be ex-husband went through mediation instead of going to an attorney. the settlement papers have been signed but the final hearing has not taken place yet so the judge hasn't signed off on anything yet. The final hearing is scheduled for the end of February. My question is: is it too late for her to retain an attorney and stop the final hearing from taking place? she has recently found out that he has hidden assets and not been truthful with her about what they have.

Silverplum

I am writing this on behalf of a friend who is in the middle of a divorce. She and her soon to be ex-husband went through mediation instead of going to an attorney. the settlement papers have been signed but the final hearing has not taken place yet so the judge hasn't signed off on anything yet. The final hearing is scheduled for the end of February. My question is: is it too late for her to retain an attorney and stop the final hearing from taking place? she has recently found out that he has hidden assets and not been truthful with her about what they have.
It's extremely difficult to deal with 3rd hand info. Please send your friend here to ask her own questions.

mistoffolees

As Silverplum says, she really needs to post the relevant information herself.

However, in general, it's not final until the judge says it's final. She needs to get an attorney who asks the court to order complete discovery. He should also file for a continuance on the February hearing (or maybe wait until it's a little closer because she could find out that he really hasn't hidden anything, after all.

She could also contact the mediator and ask for another session to clarify issues that weren't addressed in the earlier session, but I wouldn't recommend it since there may be other assets hidden that she still doesn't know about. A court order is more likely to get her information about ALL hidden assets (but even there, there's no guarantee).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">