• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catlady63

What is the name of your state?Ma
I was just informed that my ex husband has left his firm and has started at a new firm. He has told me that the children will be fully covered, but that I would be covered under a Cobra plan and they (his previous) employer is to send me paperwork. My question is where do I go to follow through on any of this or is it his responsibility to make sure that I am covered according to the provisions of our agreement and MGL 175 110I? PLEASE HELP....I have some medical issues and I can't afford to not be covered. I am considering canceling some important appointments because of my fear of no coverage.

nextwife

What is the exact language of the decree as regards your health coverage through your ex husband's employer?

catlady63

The terms of the agreement state that he is to provide coverage the same or similar coverage for 5 years. But if it costs him more to have me on a policy as an additional person that I have to pay him the difference to be included on the policy over what a traditional family policy as a wife.

He told me in his last email that I will have Cobra through work, but he thought they may be sending paper work.

I am not so sure what the deal is and don't know what the best way is to procede so I don't lapse coverage.

LdiJ

catlady63 said:
The terms of the agreement state that he is to provide coverage the same or similar coverage for 5 years. But if it costs him more to have me on a policy as an additional person that I have to pay him the difference to be included on the policy over what a traditional family policy as a wife.

He told me in his last email that I will have Cobra through work, but he thought they may be sending paper work.

I am not so sure what the deal is and don't know what the best way is to procede so I don't lapse coverage.
Unfortunately, he doesn't have the option to continue your coverage on a no cost basis. Once divorced you can only be covered by a cobra and they are expensive...and it means that ALL the costs will be extra. The way that your order reads, it means that all the cost will be your responsiblity. A Cobra also doesn't last for 5 years.

You need to contact his employer to get information about the cobra, and then you may need another trip back to court.

catlady63

Here is the exact verbage see if this changes your opinion: " In the event that the wife is no longer eligible for comverage puruant to paragraph 2, supra (e.g. husband remarries), thereby resulting in the wife being dropped from the medical and dental insurance policies, then the husband shall be obligated to forthwith notify the wife in writing as soon as he knows or should reasonable know that such action will be taken by the insurance providers. In the event that the wife is dropped for any reason pursuant to paragraph 2 above, priorto the expiration of 5 years from the date of the within agreement, and assuming the wife has not remarried herself during this time frame, and assuming the wife does not have health insurance available to her through her employer, the husband shall at his sole cost pay for the wife to have similar coverage to that in exsistance at the time of this agreement although perhaps through a different provider. ie the husband will supply medical dental insurance coverage for his wife for 5 years from the date of the within agreement at his sole cost should the wife be dropped from the existing family plans for any reason. If the wife has insurance available to her through her employer at a cost to he the husband shall have the option of 1) paying hte employee portion of the wife's available insurance premium 2) or providing her with substantially similar health insurance"

So.....doesn't this mean he would have to pay for the Cobra?

LdiJ

catlady63 said:
Here is the exact verbage see if this changes your opinion: " In the event that the wife is no longer eligible for comverage puruant to paragraph 2, supra (e.g. husband remarries), thereby resulting in the wife being dropped from the medical and dental insurance policies, then the husband shall be obligated to forthwith notify the wife in writing as soon as he knows or should reasonable know that such action will be taken by the insurance providers. In the event that the wife is dropped for any reason pursuant to paragraph 2 above, priorto the expiration of 5 years from the date of the within agreement, and assuming the wife has not remarried herself during this time frame, and assuming the wife does not have health insurance available to her through her employer, the husband shall at his sole cost pay for the wife to have similar coverage to that in exsistance at the time of this agreement although perhaps through a different provider. ie the husband will supply medical dental insurance coverage for his wife for 5 years from the date of the within agreement at his sole cost should the wife be dropped from the existing family plans for any reason. If the wife has insurance available to her through her employer at a cost to he the husband shall have the option of 1) paying hte employee portion of the wife's available insurance premium 2) or providing her with substantially similar health insurance"

So.....doesn't this mean he would have to pay for the Cobra?
Yes, that not only sounds like he would have to pay the cobra, but that he will also have to provide insurance for you after the cobra ends.

catlady63

Thank you, I hope you are correct because it eases my mind for now. Best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving. I will be giving thanks to many things even though I have been through much we all have so much to be thankful for if we just look deep enough. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">