• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance/Car insurance Responsibilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sokols

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?CA
Here we go again. My husband lost his job last year. He had insurance with his company (Medical, Vision) We were legally separated about the same time he lost his job. I put him on my medical and vision policy thru my work but did not add him to the dental policy. Prior years he was on my dental policy but he never used the dental maintenence plan so I decided to remove him from coverage. Well now he has dental work that needs to be done and is threatening me with a large bill because I had removed him from the plan that he says I'm legally responsible for. Question: I'm I legally responsible to provide him medical/dental coverage?
He also wants me to pay his car payment and car insurance policy - Am i legally responsible to pay those, when he is capable financially to pay these. He is hiding $

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?CA
Here we go again. My husband lost his job last year. He had insurance with his company (Medical, Vision) We were legally separated about the same time he lost his job. I put him on my medical and vision policy thru my work but did not add him to the dental policy. Prior years he was on my dental policy but he never used the dental maintenence plan so I decided to remove him from coverage. Well now he has dental work that needs to be done and is threatening me with a large bill because I had removed him from the plan that he says I'm legally responsible for. Question: I'm I legally responsible to provide him medical/dental coverage?
He also wants me to pay his car payment and car insurance policy - Am i legally responsible to pay those, when he is capable financially to pay these. He is hiding $
What does your legal separation agreement state?
In addition to what the legal separation agreement states, whose names are on the car insurance policy? When did you remove him from the dental insurance -- before or after the legal separation? Was there a restraining order put on regarding insurance?

Sokols

I served him divorce papers Feburary 09. I don't have any legal separation papers just divorce papers. Nothing is stated regarding who pays what while the divorce is pending. I removed him only from Dental coverage not medical or vision 10/09 after papers were served(because he never would go to the dentist hasn't been for 5 years or more) His name was on the car insurance policy. We had 3 cars on the policy, his, mine and a child's car. He wanted me to pay the entire bill.
I opened up and got my own policy with the same company removing my car and the childs car. I pay that policy. He still has the other policy with just his car on it. I did the same with a auto club emergency service plan.

No restraining orders.

mistoffolees

I served him divorce papers Feburary 09. I don't have any legal separation papers just divorce papers. Nothing is stated regarding who pays what while the divorce is pending. I removed him only from Dental coverage not medical or vision 10/09 after papers were served(because he never would go to the dentist hasn't been for 5 years or more) His name was on the car insurance policy. We had 3 cars on the policy, his, mine and a child's car. He wanted me to pay the entire bill.
I opened up and got my own policy with the same company removing my car and the childs car. I pay that policy. He still has the other policy with just his car on it. I did the same with a auto club emergency service plan.

No restraining orders.
Generally, when you file for divorce, default orders go into place immediately (read your documents). Those orders typically prevent you from dropping someone from insurance - so you may end up paying.

Sokols

I was able to get him back on my insurance. Will my company's insurnace have to carry him if he is unemployeed after divorce is final. Am I allowed to get my own car insurance and cell phone plans separated from my husband pending the divorce. I don't want to pay his car payment and insurance. He is not helping with any of the childrens expenses and taxes.

LdiJ

I was able to get him back on my insurance. Will my company's insurnace have to carry him if he is unemployeed after divorce is final. Am I allowed to get my own car insurance and cell phone plans separated from my husband pending the divorce. I don't want to pay his car payment and insurance. He is not helping with any of the childrens expenses and taxes.
Your company is not required to continue to provide him insurance after the divorce. They have to make Cobra available to him if he wants to pay for it however.

mistoffolees

Your company is not required to continue to provide him insurance after the divorce. They have to make Cobra available to him if he wants to pay for it however.
Note that if husband is unemployed, he may ask the court to have OP pay his COBRA for some period after the divorce, as well. Without knowing the specifics, there's no way of knowing if the court would agree, but it's one possibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">