• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sourgrapes

can i remove my wife and step son from my medical and dental coverage w/o being divorced. also, can i remove her as my beneficiary? i'm about to re enroll in my company's benifit plan.

LdiJ

can i remove my wife and step son from my medical and dental coverage w/o being divorced. also, can i remove her as my beneficiary? i'm about to re enroll in my company's benifit plan.
No, as long as you are married you have to maintain medical coverage for them, unless they have alternate coverage readily available at a reasonable price. You can cancel that after the divorce. Whether or not she has to remain as your beneciary depends on state insurance law. In many states, you cannot remove a spouse as a beneficiary, without the spouse agreeing and signing off on that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, as long as you are married you have to maintain medical coverage for them, unless they have alternate coverage readily available at a reasonable price. You can cancel that after the divorce. Whether or not she has to remain as your beneciary depends on state insurance law. In many states, you cannot remove a spouse as a beneficiary, without the spouse agreeing and signing off on that.

The bolded is incorrect. He does NOT have to have them insured if no divorce is currently in the works. HOWEVER, he would be held responsible for her medical bills if she is uninsured -- they would be medical debt. It seems crazy to even consider having a spouse uninsured if possible. As for the stepchild, he doesn't have to have the stepchild insured at all due to the fact that HE is not legally responsible for said child. The child's parents are responsible.

mistoffolees

The bolded is incorrect. He does NOT have to have them insured if no divorce is currently in the works. HOWEVER, he would be held responsible for her medical bills if she is uninsured -- they would be medical debt. It seems crazy to even consider having a spouse uninsured if possible. As for the stepchild, he doesn't have to have the stepchild insured at all due to the fact that HE is not legally responsible for said child. The child's parents are responsible.
[presumably c/medical debt/marital debt]

While what you wrote is true, his stbx is still going to be responsible for the step child's medical expenses. If something happens to the stepchild, the stbx could end up with massive debt - which could have impact on child support and/or alimony (if applicable). Therefore, it might be prudent to keep the step-child on his insurance until the divorce is over even though he has no legal obligation to do so.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
[presumably c/medical debt/marital debt]

While what you wrote is true, his stbx is still going to be responsible for the step child's medical expenses. If something happens to the stepchild, the stbx could end up with massive debt - which could have impact on child support and/or alimony (if applicable). Therefore, it might be prudent to keep the step-child on his insurance until the divorce is over even though he has no legal obligation to do so.
Actually no. the STBXs separate debt will NOT impact child support and/or alimony amount.

mistoffolees

Actually no. the STBXs separate debt will NOT impact child support and/or alimony amount.
In theory. In practice, the judge considered all of my ex's expenses when approving alimony - even the expenses which had nothing to do with me. If one of my ex-stepchildren had had a serious medical condition, I don't doubt that I'd be paying more money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">