• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental abuse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chris4895

What is the name of your state?Indiana
I was wondering what is concidered mental abuse of a spouse? My situation is that i was going through depression and my soon to be ex was leaving the kids with me to go off and screw another guy and didn't hide it really.She had also said some pretty hurtful things before she left and now she just downgrades me and calls me names in front of the kids. Could this be concidered mental abuse in any way or am i off base?

LdiJ

Chris4895 said:
What is the name of your state?Indiana
I was wondering what is concidered mental abuse of a spouse? My situation is that i was going through depression and my soon to be ex was leaving the kids with me to go off and screw another guy and didn't hide it really.She had also said some pretty hurtful things before she left and now she just downgrades me and calls me names in front of the kids. Could this be concidered mental abuse in any way or am i off base?
Since Indiana is a "no fault" state when it comes to divorce its pretty much irrelevant whether or not you were mentally abused by your spouse.

However if you can prove that she degrades you in front of the children (and the children are old enough to understand) there is a chance that you could get some mileage there in any custody battle...but it isn't guaranteed.

You probably should get yourself at least a consult with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">