• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Messy Divorce, ain't they all?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newton2010

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I filed for divorce on April 11th after my wife got hooked on meth and would not get help.

She left and I did not speak to her for over a month and did not know where she was so I could not serve her.

My lawyer filed for a divorce by publication on May 24th.

On May 28th she got arrested for Meth w/Intent to distribute, poss. of weed and para.

Got her served on May 29th because I now knew where she was.

On June 22nd my lawyer went to the jail to see if she would sign a waiver because she said she would, she did not sign it.

On July 18th she got convicted and was sentenced to 5 years of "Community Sentance".

On August 30th my lawyer and I went to the courthouse and got the divorce granted because it had been 90 days since she was served and she never replied to the petition.

On September 10th she filed a "MOTION TO VACATE OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL".

Her 3 points were
1. She was in jail at the time of the filing of the petition, we filed April 11th and she went to jail on May 28th.
2. The divorce by publication is a fraud because we knew she was in jail at the time of the filing, we filed it on May 24th and she went to jail on the 28th.
3. I had lunch with her the day before I got the divorce granted, I had lunch with her the day AFTER the divorce was granted. To me this is heresay anyways.

My lawyer tells me I should not worry about it but it still scares the crap out of me. I got sole custody and she has supervised visitaion and she is telling me that she is going to get the kids and our only car among much other stuff. Should I be worried???

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I filed for divorce on April 11th after my wife got hooked on meth and would not get help.

She left and I did not speak to her for over a month and did not know where she was so I could not serve her.

My lawyer filed for a divorce by publication on May 24th.

On May 28th she got arrested for Meth w/Intent to distribute, poss. of weed and para.

Got her served on May 29th because I now knew where she was.

On June 22nd my lawyer went to the jail to see if she would sign a waiver because she said she would, she did not sign it.

On July 18th she got convicted and was sentenced to 5 years of "Community Sentance".

On August 30th my lawyer and I went to the courthouse and got the divorce granted because it had been 90 days since she was served and she never replied to the petition.

On September 10th she filed a "MOTION TO VACATE OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL".

Her 3 points were
1. She was in jail at the time of the filing of the petition, we filed April 11th and she went to jail on May 28th.
2. The divorce by publication is a fraud because we knew she was in jail at the time of the filing, we filed it on May 24th and she went to jail on the 28th.
3. I had lunch with her the day before I got the divorce granted, I had lunch with her the day AFTER the divorce was granted. To me this is heresay anyways.

My lawyer tells me I should not worry about it but it still scares the crap out of me. I got sole custody and she has supervised visitaion and she is telling me that she is going to get the kids and our only car among much other stuff. Should I be worried???
I think that you should listen to your attorney.

However, just FYI the lunch issue is not hearsay. Look up the definition of hearsay so that you understand what it means. Its also completely irrelevant that you had lunch with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">