• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mexico marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katrina1

we live in CA, our marriage certificate says we were married in CA, but we really went to mexico with friends and got married there. is that grounds for an annulment? or can I somehow invalidate the marriage? Does CA have a common law marriage (we were "married" in 1997 but have lived together since 1987) Does it matter how it comes to an end? I have manged to save about 100k in a joint bank account and I want at least 80% (since he has not contributed) I have withdrawn nearly 35k in cash, should I continue to just slowly take my money out and keep it in cash so he can't get half ?

LdiJ

we live in CA, our marriage certificate says we were married in CA, but we really went to mexico with friends and got married there. is that grounds for an annulment? or can I somehow invalidate the marriage? Does CA have a common law marriage (we were "married" in 1997 but have lived together since 1987) Does it matter how it comes to an end? I have manged to save about 100k in a joint bank account and I want at least 80% (since he has not contributed) I have withdrawn nearly 35k in cash, should I continue to just slowly take my money out and keep it in cash so he can't get half ?
You seriously need a consult with an attorney...you are so off the mark as to how things works that you simply cannot proceed without local legal advice.

CourtClerk

CA doesn't recognize common law marriage.... didn't recogize it in the 80's, didn't recognize it in the 90's either.

mistoffolees

CA doesn't recognize common law marriage.... didn't recogize it in the 80's, didn't recognize it in the 90's either.
No, but the OP's stbx would certainly qualify as a putative spouse and would presumably be entitled to half of the assets. Possibly alimony, as well.

OP needs to see an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, but the OP's stbx would certainly qualify as a putative spouse and would presumably be entitled to half of the assets. Possibly alimony, as well.

OP needs to see an attorney.
And she also needs to watch about dissipating the marital assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">