• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Middle name change during divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

everyQ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

From what I have read I know that I can change my last name back to my maiden name during our divorce proceedings.

At the wife's request, her maiden name or a former name can be restored as part of the dissolution decree. The request should be included in the petition.
My children are very opposed to me changing my last name - they want it to stay the same as theirs. I completely understand and agree with them. But, I do want that end of an era / new start that a name change will provide. I am now wondering if it will be possible to change my middle name only during the divorce proceedings? The new middle name is not my maiden name.

I know that I can change my name afterward - for an additional fee of course. My only question is if it would be possible to include it in the divorce proceedings and save the additional fees/court time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

From what I have read I know that I can change my last name back to my maiden name during our divorce proceedings.

My children are very opposed to me changing my last name - they want it to stay the same as theirs. I completely understand and agree with them. But, I do want that end of an era / new start that a name change will provide. I am now wondering if it will be possible to change my middle name only during the divorce proceedings? The new middle name is not my maiden name.

I know that I can change my name afterward - for an additional fee of course. My only question is if it would be possible to include it in the divorce proceedings and save the additional fees/court time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I doubt that would be possible. What about hypenating your last name? Combining the married name with your maiden name? That would be possible and would give you a "change".

However...keep in mind just how much "work" you would have to do to change your last name at all. That means changing TONS of things. Driver's license, Social Security, any assets, any debts, TONS of things. It can be a real PITA. I got married over 23 years ago (and subsequently divorced) I kept my married name but STILL have some odds and ends of things that never got changed into my married name and I simply gave up trying to make it happen. I have one credit card that I tried to change into my married name no less than 6 times, and it never got done.

mistoffolees

My children are very opposed to me changing my last name - they want it to stay the same as theirs. I completely understand and agree with them. But, I do want that end of an era / new start that a name change will provide.
How about celebrating the new start with a new hair style or wardrobe? :D

It will be cheaper and easier than changing your name for all the reasons LD mentions. And who ever sees your middle name anyway?

I can understand people wanting to go through the expense to change their last name, but why in the world would you go through the expense and trouble (think about how many forms you're going to have to fill out and how many letters you're going to need to send) for a middle name that no one knows about anyway (Other than those acting in some kind of official capacity, I doubt if anyone but my immediate family even knows my middle name, much less cares).

everyQ

Thank you for the replies.

As far as why I want to make the change - it's just a way to make the kids and myself happy. I'll be taking a family name from my mother's side that begins with X. So I'll be Jane X. Doe. We'll all still have the same last name but I'll get the change I'm looking for. And I get to avoid the whole dramatic divorce hair cut.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">