• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

might lose everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dtzsigo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband and I have been married for a little over a year, however, we have been together for six years. A little background information. In the first year we were significant others we bought a house, however, the mortgage was only in his name as I had some credit damage on my credit report and it was easier just to do it in his name. I made more money than him and the year prior to buying the house I paid off his credit debts and saved approximately 6,000 for the down payment. When we moved in to the house he quit his job and decided to try another career which was fine with me at first, however, it is now going on five years that we have lived in this house and have been married for almost two years and in the five years time period he has worked one year. My question is this, should our marriage end, as it is not very stable will I have to leave the house and give up my car, which also is financed in his name? Will I be able to contact the finance company for the car and see if they can switch the loan over to me and should I contact a mortgage company to see about buying the house. If I can not assume these debts then the house will be foreclosed on and the car repossessed as he doesn't have an income. I have supported him and paid for all remodeling costs in our house since we have lived here. If we should legally separte for a while can he take the car away from me since it is not financed in my name or because we are married are these possessions considered joint until a judge determines otherwise?

VeronicaGia

MI is not a community property state so these assets and their debts are his.

Why wouldn't you go buy a new house and a new car yourself? Any money you put into the house wold have been put into any place you lived. Why not make a clean break, and let him see how much life costs?

You should really contact an attorney too.

D

dtzsigo

I will do that if I should have to, but until we are divorced and the judge determines that those assets are his will I still be able to use the vehicle that was bought for me? According to a police officer that I spoke with, I know he is not an attorney, but he had told me that until the judge decides and since we are still married that half of the house and vehicle are mine too, is that true?

VeronicaGia

You really need to contact an attorney about this. Why would you ask the police? They enforce the law, but do not create laws.

If the car is in his name solely he can pretty much do what he wants at this point. The finance company cannot just switch the loan and title, he would have to agree to it. Same with the mortgage company. They have a contract with him, they cannot break that contract. If everything is foreclosed upon or reposessed, it's all in his name and it's not your problem.

I will also tell you that your marriage is only a year old. He bought the house prior to the marriage. I was in a similar situation 13 years ago, and had no options since the house was his. A one year marriage is not long. IMHO, file for a quicky divorce and move on, that's what I did. What happens to him is his problem, take care of yourself. For such a short marriage, it's not worth what it will cost you to fight for all this when you could buy your own and move on.

G

Gilly Bean

Also, keep in mind that if it is a messy divorce, and you are driving around in his vehicle, he can call the cops and report it stolen. My mother's 3rd ex did that to her once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">