• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military divorce question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mg311z

I am in the military stationed in Maine. My spouse and I were married in Florida. We plan to separate soon and she will be taking the kids to South Carolina to live with her parents. Which state should I file for divorce? Which would be easiest, cheapest, most beneficial? How long must we be separated for each of the three states?

TinkerBelleLuvr

I am in the military stationed in Maine. My spouse and I were married in Florida. We plan to separate soon and she will be taking the kids to South Carolina to live with her parents. Which state should I file for divorce? Which would be easiest, cheapest, most beneficial? How long must we be separated for each of the three states?
How long have you lived in Maine?

mg311z

How long have you lived in Maine?
I have been stationed here for 11 months. My family met me here 10 months ago. We own a rental property in South Carolina also.

Ideally, we would be able to settle and agree with everything on our own. The plan is for her to move to SC to stay with family until our rental is available again (next June). She would have the children as well. The lease of the home we stay in now will end in January. At that point we will arrange for her things to be shipped to SC and put in storage. The home and most debts are in my name.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">