• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nps13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Neveda

Have been married to an active duty army soldier for 25 years. He wants me gone cause I came across pictures of girl he has been having contact with. Will not pay for me to move and says he will not provide support. What can I do? :(

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Have been married to an active duty army soldier for 25 years. He wants me gone cause I came across pictures of girl he has been having contact with. Will not pay for me to move and says he will not provide support. What can I do? :(
Get a job. Stand on your own two feet. He doesn't have to pay for you to move or provide support unless the court or the military forces him to do so. You really need a job.

Isis1

don't move anywhere until a court order requires you to.

when you say "girl" are you talking underage, or over 18?

angie@355

I too am a military wife! But that does not mean that I NEED a man to take care of me. Stay put until you are told to move but in the meantime get a job, save your money and prepare to take care of yourself soon. You can do it, lots of women are very independant and take care of themselves!

LdiJ

Get yourself an attorney and talk to his command. The military will require him to support you until you are actually divorced. However, do not mention adultery or anything of that nature, as you could derail his career and that won't help you at all.

You are also going to be entitled to a share of his military pension, which will be paid directly to you if you have been married at least 10 years during his active duty. So he won't have a choice about that.

Get a good attorney who is familiar with military divorces.

nps13

I have worked the last 24 years and made more money than him. We PCS to Las Vegas in October 2008 and cannot find a job. I left my job to be with him thinking we had a good and honest marriage. I am 54 years old and am having a hard time finding a job here. My problem is that I have contributed just as much money or more into the marriage and now he states that everything is his including the home we live in cause he is paying it cause I am not working. So I feel that if he wants me gone, he should pay and support me. Sons are all grown and living in different states so there is no child support.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have worked the last 24 years and made more money than him. We PCS to Las Vegas in October 2008 and cannot find a job. I left my job to be with him thinking we had a good and honest marriage. I am 54 years old and am having a hard time finding a job here. My problem is that I have contributed just as much money or more into the marriage and now he states that everything is his including the home we live in cause he is paying it cause I am not working. So I feel that if he wants me gone, he should pay and support me. Sons are all grown and living in different states so there is no child support.
Keep looking for work. You will be imputed an income and be expected to support yourself. Do not count on support from him except very minimally. And he is wrong about everything being his. You are entitled to half the marital property and half the marital debt.

mistoffolees

So I feel that if he wants me gone, he should pay and support me.
Wrong. You're capable of working, so you need to be working. Not only because the court will impute an income whether you're working or not, but also because it would be foolish to rely on him for your support. There are plenty of examples on this board where people don't get the support they're 'entitled' to.

Not to mention, of course, that since you claim you were making more than him, YOU could be the one paying alimony.

mistoffolees

The military will STILL make him support her until at least the divorce is final.
Yes, but at the same time, the divorce court could order HER to support HIM until the divorce is final, so she may not get anything (net).

She says that for most of their married life, she was making more than him. It's not reasonable for him to be expected to support her.

LdiJ

Yes, but at the same time, the divorce court could order HER to support HIM until the divorce is final, so she may not get anything (net).

She says that for most of their married life, she was making more than him. It's not reasonable for him to be expected to support her.
With this specific set of facts I disagree. She gave up a good paying job because he got relocated to a new post. She has been unable to find another job. Its completely reasonable that he should have to support her until the divorce is final.

Also, until the divorce is final the military will continue to pay him BAS/BAH as a married person. The portion that he gets extra, being married, is the money that the military will expect him to use to support his wife until the divorce is final. Once the divorce is final his BAS/BAH will be reduced to that of a single person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">