• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor child around boyfriend after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

love4life

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
I am legally separated from my husband. I have a boyfriend who has been divorced for five years with two wonderful children whom I dearly love. I have only on a couple of occasions and very slowly, introduced my six year old son to this family. He is an only child, because his father would not allow me to bear another child, and very much adores my friend's two sons.

I was served two days ago with paperwork, a complaint and petition to the court for divorce on grounds of adultery, and have to provide answer to the complaint within 30 days which will be no problem. The problem is the front cover of the paperwork has a restraining order stating that our son is not to be around and "paramour" for any reason whatsoever pending further court action. Which also means I cannot be around my "paramour" for any reason as long as I have my son with me. After contacting my attorney about this and setting up our next appointment to answer the complaint he tells me I must comply with this, and I have no problem doing that temporarily, but he is also telling me that even after the divorce is final my son can only be around this person and his children for daytime visits and absolutely no overnight visits as long as he is a minor, or I risk losing all custody rights. I do not understand why after our divorce is final, can he and I not continue our relationship and live together as a family. Especially if my child was very happy with these people, and being kept from them is going to (already is) cause him emotional issues because he thinks he did something wrong and is being punished by having these people taken away from him.

Any advice? Does this mean I can not have a real relationship until my son is 18 years old? This person is not one of a string of men I have brought home. He is the only one and has been for a long time.
Thanks in advance,
just want to be with my love for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">