• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed deposition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

-Sarah-

I recently moved to a new state and had a divorce that should have been official in August. I've been trying to contact the lawyer that I had paid for the divorce because he didn't call me in regards to my deposition. I've been calling and emailing to no avail. Mind you, the deposition was in August!! What do I do if I can't get him to contact me back? I want this divorce over with :( I can only pray that it is... please help. Any advice is welcome.

Proserpina

I recently moved to a new state and had a divorce that should have been official in August. I've been trying to contact the lawyer that I had paid for the divorce because he didn't call me in regards to my deposition. I've been calling and emailing to no avail. Mind you, the deposition was in August!! What do I do if I can't get him to contact me back? I want this divorce over with :( I can only pray that it is... please help. Any advice is welcome.
Call the courthouse and find out the current status.

-Sarah-

I'm a US citizen. The divorce was supposed to be finalized in August back in Virginia. I moved to Florida.

mistoffolees

Your DECISION to 'flee' the state does not waive your obligations to appear.
It sounds like she was never notified of the deposition, based on "he didn't call me in regards to my deposition" although that could mean something else.

If she was properly served of the deposition, she was obligated to attend. If Virginia allows service via her attorney (I didn't look it up) and the attorney was served, she is also obligated to attend. OTOH, if service by attorney is not OK in Virginia and she was never served, she may have some recourse.

Until she can get in touch with the attorney (personally, I'd get pretty aggressive with the receptionist until she put me through or told me when I could get through), Dog's suggestion to contact the courthouse to learn the current status is probably the best thing to do.

-Sarah-

It sounds like she was never notified of the deposition, based on "he didn't call me in regards to my deposition" although that could mean something else.

If she was properly served of the deposition, she was obligated to attend. If Virginia allows service via her attorney (I didn't look it up) and the attorney was served, she is also obligated to attend. OTOH, if service by attorney is not OK in Virginia and she was never served, she may have some recourse.

Until she can get in touch with the attorney (personally, I'd get pretty aggressive with the receptionist until she put me through or told me when I could get through), Dog's suggestion to contact the courthouse to learn the current status is probably the best thing to do.

He told me he was going to call me the week of the deposition so we could set up a time. He never got back to me. I have been calling and emailing, what the heck am I supposed to do if he doesn't answer me? It's not like it's MY fault. All he had told me was I was supposed to have someone testify in his office that I left on a certain date. That was it. Guess I'll be looking for a number for the courthouse. There's nothing more I can do at this point, I don't know of anything more that I can possibly do if I can't get the jerk to get back to me.

Just Blue

He told me he was going to call me the week of the deposition so we could set up a time. He never got back to me. I have been calling and emailing, what the heck am I supposed to do if he doesn't answer me? It's not like it's MY fault. All he had told me was I was supposed to have someone testify in his office that I left on a certain date. That was it. Guess I'll be looking for a number for the courthouse. There's nothing more I can do at this point, I don't know of anything more that I can possibly do if I can't get the jerk to get back to me.
Did you try going to his office? Are there children involved? If yes did you remove the children from the state without written permission from the father/courts?

JETX

I didn't "flee" the state. Thanks for the "help".
Actually... you DID.. from your own post "I recently moved to a new state and had a divorce that should have been official in August."
Though you may have LOTS of reasons or excuses... the FACT is you left the state that would have had jurisdiction for another state before the matter was resolved.

mistoffolees

See my first post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">