• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed a Divorce Court Date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dumbagain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

My question involves a marriage in the state of: OHIO

Hello. I was wondering what you thoughts were on missing a divorce court date?

My wife retained a lawyer and I received a court date 2 months ago. I received a court date in the mail. She then told me that she retained a lawyer just "to scare me" and right after that the court date was rescheduled for some reason? I admit I made the mistake in not getting a lawyer at that time; I am filling out paperwork right now to retain one. Also another reminder came in the mail that she hid from me so this also made me think she was having second thoughts.

So I find out that today was an actual court date! I received nothing from the clerk of courts telling me this and I have no lawyer that would have told me this.
I was not able to make it to court today..

Thoughts?
(Besides everyone telling me what an idiot I am for not having a lawyer by now, but you have to realize this wasnt what I wanted and I was under the impression that she was dropping the case.)

I will get with a lawyer ASAP (tomorrow) but I was just wondering how you might think the court look at this? All I can do is be honest. No kids involved just property.
I'm in the dark about these things until I consult my attorney just wanted to see if anyone has to say about this.

Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

My question involves a marriage in the state of: OHIO

Hello. I was wondering what you thoughts were on missing a divorce court date?

My wife retained a lawyer and I received a court date 2 months ago. I received a court date in the mail. She then told me that she retained a lawyer just "to scare me" and right after that the court date was rescheduled for some reason? I admit I made the mistake in not getting a lawyer at that time; I am filling out paperwork right now to retain one. Also another reminder came in the mail that she hid from me so this also made me think she was having second thoughts.

So I find out that today was an actual court date! I received nothing from the clerk of courts telling me this and I have no lawyer that would have told me this.
I was not able to make it to court today..

Thoughts?
(Besides everyone telling me what an idiot I am for not having a lawyer by now, but you have to realize this wasnt what I wanted and I was under the impression that she was dropping the case.)

I will get with a lawyer ASAP (tomorrow) but I was just wondering how you might think the court look at this? All I can do is be honest. No kids involved just property.
I'm in the dark about these things until I consult my attorney just wanted to see if anyone has to say about this.

Thank you
What was today's hearing? If you didn't answer the paperwork or reply in any way, you may find that if the court determines you were served, that you are now divorced by default and your wife (now ex) will get everything she requested. Your neglect does nothing. You were served a hearing date. It was for today. You forgot. That is a problem. You may now own nothing, have no custody of any children you two share, and be ordered to pay child and spousal support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">