• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missing husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolm7

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I filed for divorce and I've come to a confusing spot. I
was sure I explained to the judge that I didnot know where my husband lives. So I get in the mail a letter from the judge" You must serve the Defendant with a copy of the petition for divorce by either serving him through the sheriff of the county in which he resides, or having him sign an Acknowledgment of service from in front of a notary public.

I don't know what else to do . Should I write a statement saying I don't know where he Is . Maybe have a notery public witness it for me ?
Carolm7What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I filed for divorce and I've come to a confusing spot. I
was sure I explained to the judge that I didnot know where my husband lives. So I get in the mail a letter from the judge" You must serve the Defendant with a copy of the petition for divorce by either serving him through the sheriff of the county in which he resides, or having him sign an Acknowledgment of service from in front of a notary public.

I don't know what else to do . Should I write a statement saying I don't know where he Is . Maybe have a notery public witness it for me ?
Carolm7What is the name of your state?
You need to make a diligent effort to find him and serve him, even if you have to serve him at work.

If you absolutely cannot find him, then you may be able to serve him by publication. However, generally you need an attorney to facilitate that.

momxthree

I was told

keep in mind I am not an attorney and I am in LA. But... I too cannot 'find' my ex. My attorney has explained to me that I have to ask the judge to assign a 'curator' (sp?). This is after I attempt to have him served at his last known address. This curator is an attorney assigned by the court that I have to pay to represent him in court. Also, I have to pay this person to 'look' for him. He/she would contact his family/friends/last known employers etc. etc. and also put ad's in the paper. Then he/she would come to court and tell the judge that they couldn't find him. The judge would either ask this person to continue looking (again, at my expense) and come back in 45 days OR decide whether or not to make a ruling without him (my ex) being present.
But if you know where your husband works, his hangouts... etc. etc... could you hire a 'private process server'?
Prior to the latest developments for a previous court date I knew that my ex would be in the airport to catch a flight. I asked the court to allow me to hire a private server and it was allowed. The private server contacted me, I gave him a description and he found him in the airport and served him. Again... the request to the judge and the private server was all at my expense.
Oh... again... not sure if it is the same in GA. But does your husband have an attorney? Could you serve through his attorney (if he has one)?
I tried that as well, of course his attorney was as big a butt as he so he refused service that's when I went with the private server.
Hope that helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">