• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mississippi divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robertkillen

I have a question about divorce in Mississippi. A friend of mine wants to get divorced from her husband. He is in prison at Parchman, Mississippi. I do not know exactly he has been there or how much time he has left. He might already be out. She went to a lawyer and he said that he could do her divorce for $800. Half for the divorce and half to serve the papers in Parchman. She lives in Gautier, MS (about 260 miles south of Parchman). Assuming he is still in prison, can she file herself and send the papers to him by certified mail, or does she have to hire a process server. Or would she be better off trying to get a lawyer. I called the chancery clerk here in town and she was not sure wether she could serve him by mail or not. Well, this is all pretty confusing. I hope someone can make sense of it and give some clear advice. Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">