• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Missouri, how many times can a Divorce court case be postponed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macguy1966

Missouri- I filed for divorce and had my wife served papers. I have a Nov court date and have a wife that will more than likely get it postponed. My 15 year old son and I want back in our family home which she now "controls. She is without an attorney right now so no negotiations or anything are possible at the moment.

Proserpina

Missouri- I filed for divorce and had my wife served papers. I have a Nov court date and have a wife that will more than likely get it postponed. My 15 year old son and I want back in our family home which she now "controls. She is without an attorney right now so no negotiations or anything are possible at the moment.

There's no definitive answer to that question. If Mom files properly to postpone, it will likely be postponed.

why did you leave the family home?

Why is there no negotiation?

OHRoadwarrior

She can negotiate without a lawyer. She is less likely to be granted a continuance asking for herself if your lawyer objects.

macguy1966

There's no definitive answer to that question. If Mom files properly to postpone, it will likely be postponed.

why did you leave the family home?

Why is there no negotiation?
We had an argument that escalated into grabbing her wrist and I got bit. She later went and got an exparte and I was forced to leave the home at 4 in the morning. I was advised Id better do the same to her so I did that morning. but, I didn't see it coming. I lost so Im now out. But I was in the Lawyers office the following day . She was served 2 days later. Had a hearing 1 week later. She lost temp custody of our son and was in court with no lawyer. We were both given Full orders of Protection and I was not made to pay for anything she was asking for. She only had a lawyer(around the 30 days to respond to divorce papers) for a short time and fired him. None since so, no talking (Full Orders)

Didn't take my son any time to want away from her.

CJane

1. What makes you think you'll be awarded the home?
2. Why do you think the ex is going to ask for a continuance?
3. Your STBX is not required to negotiate anything. There is no mediation requirement in MO, and there's no reason NOT to just let a judge decide.
4. Has your attorney begun discovery?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">