• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmb57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York
Divorced in 2004. My ex owes me 100k as part of marital assets to be split after my second child is emancipated. Nov 2008 I lost my job after working for same firm for 26 years. I filed for an immediate modification to my 2k/ month CS payment. The facts. I am still unemployed collecting $1700/month on unemployment. My ex makes $65,000 salary. since October 2009 she has vacated the home that I have the equity in and rented it, adding another $2800/month income. I have 2 daughters 19, 18 years old. I am paying for 60% of older daughters college, she lives away from home, and my younger daughter, has moved out of the home with my ex (on her own accord) and has moved in with me. My modification court date is March 3rd. I have proposed to my ex, that now since we both have 1 child, that the CS payments are over. I believe that since my youngest daughter lives with me, and that I am not employed, that my ex would have to pay me CS for the months my daughter is living with me and I am supporting her and my older daughter is away at college.
Also I believe that she has hit one of the trigger points to pay me my 100k, because she vacated our original residence to move into her moms house and is renting the old one. The trigger events of my divorce are as follows. a) death of wife B) the latest of either the emancipation of the youngest child, the youngest child's graduation from high school, or the younger childs 21st birthday c)*** written notice from the wife to the husband that the wife intends to vacate the house, or the actual moving by the wife of her permanent residence from the house D) the wife sells the house e) the wife remarries or lives with another adult in the house in an intimate relationship for longer than 90 days, whether consecutive or not.
She claims that she doesnt owe me the money now because I forced her out by making only the 25% of my salary ($430 since my end of severance pay March 2009) I believe that the court would say that since my situation has dramatically changed I have the right for a modification, and since my younger daughter now lives with me, I have the right to get CS paid to me, and since she still has $350k in equity in her home, and she has moved out for over 5 months, has a stable job, is collecting rent that I never agreed she could rent, is not paying rent living in her mothers house, that she would need to sell or refinance the home and give me my 100k so I dont default on my home, and that I can also continue to pay for college for my older daughter and for my younger daughter who will be going to college this fall.
Thanks for your expert advice, please feel free to ask for any other information. I need to know before the court date where i stand.
KB

mistoffolees

For starters, what your ex tells you is completely irrelevant. She may be telling the truth or maybe not, but relying on it is foolish.

Court orders are orders. As it plays out:

1. The order is for her to pay you if she vacates the house. She has to pay. Unless you've left something out, it doesn't say she has to pay you unless something else happens. She moves out, she pays.

2. Similarly, you are ORDERED to pay child support at a certain level. You were correct to file for a modification ASAP and it will almost certainly be granted. Until then, you're stuck paying the old amount. I hope you were able to get this hearing expedited.

3. Child support is the way it was ordered. Just because the two of you choose to ignore the custody orders and let one child move in with you doesn't change the support. It gives you grounds to ASK for a change in custody and support, but until then, the old orders apply.

4. Check your orders or check with your attorney. Child support normally ends at age 18. Even if the court orders child support after age 18, it is voidable. In NY, I believe that the court can order college expenses, but not support after age 18, but do some research on the laws in your state - or ask your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">