• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money owed before the divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dt1154

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My ex-husband and I separated in May, 1998 and he moved to another state (IN). We were divorced in 2002 because that was when I finally had the money to pay for the divorce. He didn't pay for any of it.

He accrued a medical bill in August of 1999 and never paid the bill. I received a letter in the mail on Monday that my wages would be garnished for the bill ($181.00) plus $42.00 court costs. I called the attorney representing this company and told his secretary that I should have at least been warned that this whole thing was in the process and she said they mailed me an "Order to Appear" but they sent it to my ex-husband and his girlfriend's home. My wages WERE garnished on Thursday.

I asked why they didn't garnish his wages and they said they couldn't find him because he is an over the road truck driver and I was just as responsible for this bill I knew nothing about because I was still legally married to him and I could get reimbursed from him. (That'll be the day!) Not to mention this garnishment goes on my credit report.

They "mailed" me a letter to his address, couldn't they mail a letter to him at his address. We've never lived together since we separated. This whole thing seems totally unfair to me.

Do I have any recourse?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">