• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money owed to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sue012

I live in Fl.(and he is living in NC now) In our FL divorce agreement items were suppose to be sold and the proceeds split 50/50. Most of the items have been sold and my ex husband has the money and is refusing to pay me half. He is on SSD; not that he is disabled; can I garnish his disability payments from Social Security to get the money that is owed to me? I have already taken him back to court for contempt and he was told he had 10 days which has already past. What options do I have? I do not have any more money to pay another attorney. Thank you for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

I live in Fl.(and he is living in NC now) In our FL divorce agreement items were suppose to be sold and the proceeds split 50/50. Most of the items have been sold and my ex husband has the money and is refusing to pay me half. He is on SSD; not that he is disabled; can I garnish his disability payments from Social Security to get the money that is owed to me? I have already taken him back to court for contempt and he was told he had 10 days which has already past. What options do I have? I do not have any more money to pay another attorney. Thank you for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You're going to have to go back to court to get a lien on his assets and/or have him held in contempt again. Fortunately, the odds are pretty good that you can get the judge to order him to pay your legal expenses, as well.

LdiJ

You're going to have to go back to court to get a lien on his assets and/or have him held in contempt again. Fortunately, the odds are pretty good that you can get the judge to order him to pay your legal expenses, as well.
However, if he has already spent the money, and his only income is SSDI, collecting from him is going to be very difficult. SSDI cannot be garnished for anything other than government debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">